Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Family Bed Cake

Tiff had a cool idea for a cake today! She just loves our family bed and all being together at night. It is such a special aspect of our life in her eyes. Our kids have always slept with us. I can't imagine it any other way. They all have their own rooms and spaces during the day, but we all cuddle up together at night.

Here is Tiff's ode to our family at night. There is one edible person for everyone in our family on her cake. Even little Orion is in there in the middle. I thought this was just so adorable I had to share it with everyone!

Tiff is one of the most aware, thoughtful little girls that I have ever known. She loves her life so much and often shares what she is grateful for with us all. I love this about her. The fact that she could make such a sweet cake of our family makes me realize that some of the choices that we have made for our life may not be common in our culture, but they are so right for our children and our family. Our home is filled with so much love. I am so grateful every day we spend together.

We all ate our cake-selves after dinner .... except Orion ... He's still sitting on the cake tray as I type this. Someone will gobble him up later tonight I am sure. ;)


13 comments:

ThinkThankful said...

So cute!! I love it. I'll have to show this to my kids when they wake up in the morning and I expect that soon we will be making our own family bed cake! What a creative (and delicious) idea!

Dayna Martin said...

How cool! Just to make it easier... those are Twinkies for the bodies that she frosted over and marshmellows for pillows (which you can't really see) with Recess Peanut butter cups for faces. I wanted to find the white chocolate ones, but couldn't so Tiff decided that everyone has a nice tan with the chocolate ones. ;) Good luck!
Dayna

Anonymous said...

Oh, this just made my day!!! You all have teddy bears to sleep with!!! And Orion has a little binky in his mouth!!! Ahhh!! I don't think they make white chocolate reeses cups anymore, but that's ok. The Africentric Martin family looks great.

Summer said...

Awww, that is the cutest cake ever! So creative and sweet. I just can't stop gushing over the picture.

Tina@ SendChocolateNow said...

That is beyond adorable. I have fond memories of our Family Bed. Now all the kids sleep in their own beds, 14, 9 and 6, respectively. Gone are the days of snuggling in the bed, save the occasional weekend morn.

T.@ Send Chocolate

EcoVeggieMaMa said...

Now that is an amazing cake!

jill said...

i love it! kaya thought it was pretty funny too!

Anonymous said...

I love the cake. Just curious, do you all fit in one bed? We have all slept together and LOVE it, but lately it has gotten a little crowded. My girls are 4, 2, and 10 months and with hubby and I we just don't all seem to fit comfortably in our king size bed. We have started playing musical beds around here. Me with one or two kiddos in one bed and him with one or two kiddos in another. Just wondering how you make it work comfortably?

laura said...

omg that is the sweetest thing i have ever seen!!!! i love our family bed, although it is much smaller now that the boys are out and it's just sadie now.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Our bed is a king pushed up next to a queen. It's big!

I've always felt that if you are going to co-sleep make it roomy and comfortable for everyone.

Anonymous said...

Dayna, I have to tell you that this post made me rethink my whole world. I love hearing about your life and the way you focus on joy. I feel like I've been in a cave for about 8 months, time for some sun!

Laura said...

That is an adorable cake! Sweet kid to think of it...