Tuesday, May 5, 2009

We Love You - John Taylor Gatto


One of the highlights of my conference experience was spending time with John Taylor Gatto.
I enjoyed listening to most of his conference talk before Tiff needed me to help her with something and I left. Luckily we recorded his talk, so I can listen to the whole thing soon.
John is a very inspirational person who has helped so many learn the history and hidden agenda of schools. I was moved to tears when he was introduced, because his mere presence is that of royalty to many of us on this path.
John has been an supportive advocate and friend for a few years now. We appeared on Fox News together in 2008 speaking about Unschooling.
John is one of Joe's favorite writers and his book, Dumbing Us Down was so inspirational to him early in our parenting journey.
Thank you John, for your friendship and for your relentless inspiration for so many. Thank you for opening the eyes of the World so we can understand the institutionalizing of children today.

3 comments:

lotusbirther said...

I agree it is So important to keep remembering why it is we live our lives this way (unschooling as you call it in USA). John Taylor Gatto was, I believe a speaker at a home ed conference in Scotland last year but even that was not close enough for us to visit at the time.
Is there a publicly available recording or transcript of his speech? I'd love to hear/read it.

Thanks for continuing to keep this type of education/learning in the public eye.

Carrie Huggins said...

I'm a big fan of him too. What an honor to meet him!

Heather's Moving Castle said...

Wow! That is awesome. I'm so happy for you. That would be an amazing experience. :O) I am a fan of his as well.