Monday, June 8, 2009

Soul Sisters


Have you ever met someone that you just fell in love with? I don't mean in a romantic way. I mean in a friendship, adoring way. From the first conversation with my friend Barb, I knew we would become close friends. Barb is 20 years older than me, but I have never had so much in common with anyone before.

Last week Barb flew from Texas to New Hampshire to spend 3 days with me and our family. We had such a nice time! Barb brought the kids awesome gifts, which included a cool memory game, farting salt and pepper shakers, stickers and many other unique little fun things. She made Joe and I very cool, personalized coffee mugs with inspirational sayings and images. I use mine everyday.
It isn't often that someone comes into your life and really enriches it like Barb has mine. She is genuine, and kind and thoughtful. I admire her very much. She is a mentor to me. She founded the Rethinking Education Conference and has 3 grown children who were Radically Unschooled.

During her visit, we went out for Indian food, which was so delicious! We also visited a nice Mexican restaurant where we enjoyed chips and salsa and a few margaritas and beers. I wish we could do it all over again! It was rainy for most of her time here, but I liked the feel of being able to lounge around the house, cook, talk, enjoy a nice cup of coffee and just relax together.

At night, after the little ones were asleep, I would go over to the guest room in my jammies and climb into bed with Barb and we would talk and laugh. It was very special and a time I will never forget. I feel like I have known her for much longer than I have.

I am so grateful for my sweet friend. I cried when she left and felt an emptiness in my heart. I haven't felt that kind of pain for a very long time. I look forward to moving to Texas to be able to see Barb regularly. With our combined energies there is no telling what we can do or accomplish together!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I could not agree anymore with this post. Barb lives next door to my in laws, and I adore her! Whenever no one else has the right words, I always know I can just call her and she will have them.

:) After seeing her post pictures of her visit to your place, I listened to your youtube talks. I loved them all. Thats how I found this blog.

I am excited to see what both of you can do!