Monday, July 30, 2007

Exploring Henna

I recently received a Mendhi Kit in the mail that I have been anxiously waiting for. I have enjoyed Henna Art for over a year now. I offer adorning the Mom-To-be at Blessingway's that I host. Henna is one of my many passions in life which brings me so much Joy!

Devin, Dakota & Ivy enjoyed learning more about Henna/Mendhi the other night. I was sharing with the kids that the tradition of applying mendhi goes back thousands of years to religious and bridal rituals in India, Africa and the Middle East. Mendhi is of great significance in Hindu weddings. Traditional belief is that the darker the stain and the longer it remains on the bride’s hands and feet the deeper the grooms love for her. According to more recent traditions the grooms name will be hidden in the design of the bride’s hands. The wedding night cannot commence until he finds it.

We had such a fun night together exploring this passion of mine together as a family.


1 comment:

Alice said...

"According to more recent traditions the grooms name will be hidden in the design of the bride’s hands. The wedding night cannot commence until he finds it."
Wow, I really love that idea - making even part of a wedding a little bit of a game!