Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Informed Consent...... Even With Food


Our children have the right to know what they are putting into their bodies. We are not vegetarians.....or vegans......but we do care and love all living things. My children are very concerned when they see someone being less than respectful to an animal, insect or even a tree.

I really want them to understand that there is a difference between "cheap meat" and free range meat in how it is raised and treated. To me, offering my children information in this regard is true informed consent.

Lately, our conversations have been surrounding the issue of the ethical treatment of animals. I explain the different reasons why some people are vegetarian and vegan. I explain why some buy organic and free range. I discuss hormone and antibiotics use, I simply share what I know.

In turn, my children are better informed people navigating our World. They can make choices that feel right to them. They can stand up for what they value and believe in. They can have true informed consent.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 1994 version of "Black Beauty" is a good kids' movie about this issue.

Anonymous said...

Dayna,

I would recommend 'The Way We Eat: Why Our Food Choices Matter' by Jim Mason & Peter Singer. It's a great book.

They follow three different families and trace their food back to the sources. I enjoyed the book so much I bought the audio and the whole family listened.

They even discuss Freegans!!

Kelly Halldorson