Saturday, September 12, 2009

Preserving Babywearing Memories

I am one of those sentimental Moms who have a hard time parting with things from my children's babyhood. One item that I am very emotionally attached to my children's slings. They represent so much to me.

The first sling I ever bought was when Devin (who is almost 11 now) was only a few months old. I bought is used on eBay for $14. From that moment on, I have never been without a sling. It is the only baby item that I ever needed that wasn't already part of my body.

I had an idea to be able to transform my children's slings into something they can use for the rest of their lives. Last night I created a pillow for Devin and embroidered the years he was *worn* on it. It was a quick, easy project and one in which anyone could do. I used a sewing machine, but you can easily sew this by hand. Devin wanted his pillow very simple, but Tiff wants hers with fancy fringe and hearts and iron on transfers.

As I was creating his pillow, Devin came down stairs several times to see if I was done. He loves his new *Sling Pillow* and he slept with it last night. He is just as attached to it as I was. It was so Joyful to give it to him as a symbol of our connection and love together as mother and son. When I handed him this precious new creation, I hugged him, looked into his eyes and told him how much I loved the years I wore him all day on my body. He smiled and gave me a long hug and sweet kiss. He said, "Mom, thank you. I love you".

Babywearing is so much more than an easy way to carry our babies and children. It goes deep into who we are are women and as mothers. This transition from having our babies growing inside our bodies to wearing them on the outside of our bodies is natural and beautiful and a part of motherhood that I will always cherish.

Here is Devin with his new *Sling Pillow*.

I will be making one for Tiff next. She can't wait and wants to help with the project.
Ivy and Orion are still worn, so it will be a few years before I can transform their slings into such sweet keepsakes. Until that time, I will cherish every moment that I wear them.





5 comments:

Sam said...

What a fantastic idea! I love it. Thanks for sharing.

Jolene said...

I am so glad I am continuing to blog and follow my favorite blogs through this big transition in my family's life! I always love reading your blog! "Connection" is the first word that comes to mind when I read. Thank you for putting it here so that I can connect with you! I am looking forward to calling you again when we settle into our new home. With so much love... Jolene =)

Patrick and Emily said...

Wow! Your son is nearly a mirror image of you! Your family is so beautiful!

Brandie said...

I love to keep everything of my children as well..but now that everything is going digital I have decided to scan their art work on the computer that way everyone can enjoy it as well as I ...and I put it in a picture book or on a cd when they get older they can see what they once created :)

Kez said...

What a great idea!